Thursday, October 6, 2011

CIVIL RIGHTS PIONEER FRED SHUTTLESWORTH DIES AT 89

(Mobile, AL) October 5--LONG BEFORE THERE WAS "KING", THERE WAS SHUTTLESWORTH! 
I remember meeting and interviewing Mr. Fred Shuttlesworth in Birmingham, Alabama in 1998. My photographer Stephanie Brooks and I were in total awe. He left the City of Mobile as a mechanic and truck driver many years ago for the City of Birmingham.  He would later become an iconic figure during the Civil Rights movement, but wasn't truly appreciated until the latter years. The "lessons learned" and the sacrifices he made during that time made it possible for me and so many others. We're standing on some "giant shoulders" and we have Fred Shuttlesworth to thank for "paving the way".


Civil Rights Pioneer Fred Shuttlesworth   Photo taken By Stephanie Youngblood



Stephanie Youngblood He hugged me. Kissed me on both cheeks and said , "Now THAT'S equality!"

No comments:

Post a Comment