Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"BO BIKES BAMA"


(Henagar, AL.) --Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson and nearly 100 riders have started their five-day, 300 mile bicycle ride across Alabama to raise money and awareness for tornado relief.

Dressed in his bikers garb, plus a black skull cap to protect his clean shave head,  the former Auburn running back was cheered on by a large crowd in Henagar early Tuesday.  Celebrity riders include Major League Outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr and retired NBA star Scottie Pippin. All of the riders have taken a pledge with Bo Jackson to help those hit hard by killer tornadoes last April.  Organizers say the ride started in Dekalb County, where more than 30 people died that day.  The ride ends Saturday in Tuscaloosa.   Bo Jackson hopes to raise $1 million dollars for Governor John Bentley's relief fund.

I've known Bo Jackson for a number of years and was not surprised when I heard rumblings about this project about three months ago.  Bo Jackson lives in Illinois, but he calls "Alabama Home!" Central Alabama and it's people are never far from his mind.  Like so many, he watched helplessly as the killer storms tore through Alabama last April.  But, unlike so many others, Bo decided to use his celebrity and the bond he has with the NFL, NBA and MLB to make a difference. I'm sure Scottie Pippin and others could have simply written a check, but if you're truly a friend of Bo Jackson, you know you've got to put a little sweat equity behind it.  In other words, when it comes to being friends with this man with a "big heart" membership has it's privileges.

I can't wait for my opportunity to reconnect with my friend and cheer him on with this heartwarming effort. Come on Alabama join me in not only wishing Bo well, but in helping those who lost everything to the killer storms.  Please click onto the link below and donate to Bo Bike's Bama.

       


Click Here:  Bo Bike's Bama Website
http://bobikesbama.com/




Photos: Courtesy AP Photos

1 comment:

  1. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
    Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!

    My webpage ... sian

    ReplyDelete